Hello everyone! <3 I was super excited when I got an invitation to have a lunch in Ria Galeria. Because even though I’ve known the restaurant for a quite long time, seen and passed the restaurants for countless times, I never actually been there before! So finally, today, I got the chance, and hopefully it’s not too late to share my experience here on the blog 🙂
As you can see from the picture above, this restaurant has been in business since 1985 – which is longer than I have been alive! To me, if they can maintain the business for that long, surely they must be doing something right? Well, guess what?
When I visited, the parking lot was so full that I had to park far away. It was actually quite surprising because whenever I go somewhere new, I usually pick a date and time when (in my opinion) it’s less crowded, so that taking pictures is easier without people giving me weird looks. But in this case, I was wrong.
When I arrived at the restaurant, the waiter held the door open for me and warmly greeted me. He asked if there was a particular spot in the room where I would like to be seated. As I surveyed the scene, it became apparent that though I already feel old, apparently I am still one of the youngest people here!
I noticed that most of the diners appeared to be older, which led me to believe they were either managers/supervisors with coworkers or business owners meeting with their partners. I came at 2 pm- lunchtime would have been over for regular employees so it made sense that there weren’t as many people my age around. (am i being judgemental?)
The pictures above are of the restaurant’s waiting area. If any events are being held in the establishment, this will be where they’re taking place. This is the only table and set of chairs that they have which are made out of teak wood.
I initially chose a seat on the right side by the window, but then the waiter who opened the door for me told me that it might be cooler over by where the air conditioner was placed. I thought this was considerate of him so I agreed to move.
Let’s see what’s the overall place looks like!
The high ceiling and the lamp attracted my attention every time. According to them, Ria Galeria was once a historical building from the Dutch era. They’ve changed many things throughout the years, but they’ve kept the ceiling in this structure to maintain the ancient atmosphere. interesting
To show the differences that time can make, I took pictures at the same place; once when I arrived and again just before leaving.
I greatly enjoy the paintings in this restaurant! They are beautiful and add to the wonderful atmosphere. If you haven’t read about me, one of my favorite things is art. I even stayed a little while longer just to get a closer look at all the paintings. 🙂
The small door on the corner will take you to the back area where the toilets and VIP rooms are. I didn’t take pictures of those areas because an event was being held there at the time, which made it make sense why the parking lot was so full.
Fried Rice with Chicken Satay Rp. 40.000,-
Grilled Gurami Fish Rp. 78.000,-
Stir Fry Lurjuk in Sweet Soy Sauce Rp. 42.000,-
I absolutely love it! I was told that Ria Galeria is the only place that sells Lurjuk. 🙂
Almond Pudding with Lychee Fruits (center) & Es Siwalan Special (Sweet Young Coconut)
This drink is on the sweet side for my taste, but it was perfect for a hot day.
Interesting Facts :
1. you can buy every single paintings in the restaurant
2. They have three VIP rooms that could be used for your private events
3. Always been The President’s Favorite Restaurant
4. Been chosen to be the pillar of support for national events in Surabaya
Thought & Suggestions
- From whom I met inside, I think Ria Galeria is suitable for business meeting, business lunch, family gathering, employee gathering, company events, etc.
- Also a great choice for the foreigner who wants to try Indonesian food with the heritage atmosphere inside. For more youthful and modern choice of Indonesian food restaurant, you can visit Bear Top
- Or else, for everyone who loves Indonesian food. ^^
- The taste of the Indonesian food here is really authentic, and they got some menu that probably you can’t find in other Indonesian restaurant here.
- The waiter & the waitresses are friendly
- The restaurant is placed right beside the big street, on the right turn, so does the parking lot, so you need to be careful.
- The price is quite expensive, but the taste won’t lie!
- Ria Galeria
- Jalan Bangka No 2-4 (right side of the street, on the right turn)
- Every day
- 11.00 AM – 21.30 PM
- (031) 5033737
- Walk in or Reservations are welcome
- Main Courses : Rp. 7.000,- to Rp 88.000,-
- Drinks : Rp. 8.000,- to Rp. 42.500,-
- Wifi : available
- Smoking : not allowed (outside only)
- Paying with card : available
Hi Laura, you've done it again. You've never failed to amaze me that Surabaya still have so many exciting good food restaurants old and new. Thanks for another great post, more valuable as past and present also visit this restaurant. I must do a 'must visit list' to remind myself where to go the next time I visit Sby 🙂
You also never failed to flatter me, lol..
Thank you 🙂 It's always been my pleasure..
Haha, yes you need to make that list, before I flooded the blog with more post of restaurants, hahah..
wifi sudah available sis
Thank you for the info 🙂