They just launched their soft opening two weeks ago, on October 17th to be exact. I saw some of my friends were starting to upload their soft opening promo and stuffs in the social media, and that bothered the crap out of me, because at that time I was really, like, really broke. 🙁 But blessings can always come in various ways, right? It happened to me though. 🙂
So I went there two days in a row, on saturday afternoon and on sunday night.. Let me tell you what I know and what I have experienced there.
Caloria is placed on the east side of Surabaya, as usual, their address and the map will be attached down below, please keep reading. (: The place is big, they have four sections of dining space inside, plus one VIP room. They also have an outdoor space, and a dining space on the second floor (but it’s not ready yet). In total, Caloria can accommodate up to 100 people inside.
This is the first section of the dining place, it is on the left side of the entrance and mostly for people who come with their group of friends
This is the second section and also the main dining hall.
This is the third section of the dining space, it’s on the right side, in between the cashier & the bar
And this is the fourth one which is the bar itself
The VIP room is placed right across the bar, next to the mural on the left wall
Foods & Drinks
Morning Glory Salad Rp. 50.000,-
It tasted nice, basically contains lettuce, purple cabbage and red onion with deep fried kangkung like in Malay Village, but they served it also with shrimp and smoked beef. 🙂
The waiter was raving about this dish, that’s why she ordered. They said it was “Grilled beef polynesian cuisine served with poached egg. Home made brown gravy and fragrant rice” The poached egg was nice, but the beef and the sauce were tasteless and the rice was cooked with chopped paprika, it was also tasteless. (Ps : On my second visit, Loco Moco has gone from the menu, lol)
Fried Chocolate Fudge Rp. 25.000,-
Uhm.. This was also recommended by the waiter, and again, we were not really happy with it. From the looks, it was like tahu isi, do you know what I mean? Lol.. So the brownies were deep fried with the flour, it should be crispy but you know, people would always take a picture of it first before they eat it. And by the time they are ready to eat, the deep fried brownies gets cold and it’s hard to cut. And after you cut it, the brownies are crumbling into pieces and the ice cream already melted. 😑 So, yeah it was messy and all over the place and we couldn’t also taste the strawberry jam.
We thought we would see or taste the cake inside this drink, but no.. There were no cake nor the cheese inside and sorry to say it kinda taste like pop ice. 😕 It’s not bad in taste actually, I LOVE Popice, but just not with that price..
After we finished everything, we asked for the bill to the waiter. We waited for less than a minute before the waiter said, “It was already paid by the guy who sat on that table (pointing on where Stanley was seated)” And I was like, “OMG.. Why did he do that?” I rushed myself to find his contact on my phone and asked him “What was that even for?” He simply replied that it was a payback for the last time I treated him on my birthday last year, lol..
Escargot in Garlic Butter Sauce Rp. 48.000,-
This was yummy, but Vinnette still hold the champion title for selling the best Escargot dish in town. The waiter gave us forks but I guess toothpicks does the job better than the fork.
Caloria’s Beef Steak Rp. 128.000,-
First of all, it was already a big mistake for them to not asking the customer about how do they like the meat to be cooked. Yes, they didn’t ask. And it was so freakin’ long to wait for this dish to come out. At the first cut, we could really tell that it’s overcooked, because the meat wasn’t tender but it was hard to cut and hard to chew. The mushroom sauce was also too salty and the mashed potato needs to be more soft and creamy 🙂
Caloria Punch Rp. 30.000 –
It tastes nice, and refreshing. The fragrance kind of reminded me with the old kiddo hand wash. But the color wasn’t pretty when you mix the color together, imagine what you’ll get when you mix these two colors?
Taro Latte Rp. 32.000,-
Eki said it was nice and sweet and milky.
You can actually bring five people inside to be your pee companions, lol.. jk
- The dining place is big, and the interior design is overwhelming, if you are into that stuff, you might want to check out the place
- The ambience was pretty nice, I see a lot of young adults there..
- Many unique menus inside, plating was nice, but a lot of them were disappointed in taste. Take notes from people’s (honest) opinion about it, try to fix it, and let them try again, I’m sure there will be a good progression.
- The waiters & waitresses need more training. They were really friendly, but some of them were less educated about your products. I asked them about Tabasco, all of them said they didn’t have it, when I asked the owner, she said she has it. Erm..
- Food serving was taking a quite long time. Upgrade your kitchen or your chefs or both, because for such a big place that could hold a lot of people, you don’t want make more people waiting for too long, right?
- It’s pretty hard to find a parking lot, though the place wasn’t that crowded. Should you consider a cheap valet parking?
- I don’t think the spacious women’s toilet is effective, adding two or more seating for the toilet would be awesome. And you should also consider hiring one cleaning service for both toilet as well. It gets messy after a lot of people using it.
Operational Hours :
Walk in or Reservations :
Best Visit for Walk In :
Range of Price :
Foods Rp. 30.000, – Rp. 128.000, –
Drinks Rp. 10.000, – Rp. 33.000, –
Exclude 5% Service Charge & 10% Government Tax
Paying with Cards :